Brownsville Scenes

Simply, a blog about my life in McAllen, Brownsville and Matamoros, Beautiful Photos, Beautiful memories, Lots of Friends, Lots of fun... This site is also dedicated to all those valley kins around the world who want to check in every-so-often. ;0)

Friday, July 01, 2005

Field of Dreams


Right Field

This baseball field was once a thriving home and a field of dreams, hopes and aspirations to many youngsters of the Brownsville's South Little League teams... How long has it been standing there? I don't know quite honestly. But with time it has slowly withered away..

Back in the late 80's I had the opportunity to play little and junior league. Our team had a very limited amount of money. As a matter of fact, we would recycle our uniforms for the next season. Every team was assigned a particular spot to practice; we were assigned to practice on this field the first couple of weeks... The first time I visited the field it was covered in weeds and vines... It was as if the earth was trying to swallow it whole (much like is happening now). For the first few days we couldn't even play on it, half the battle was trying to walk through waist high weeds. It wasn't until we cut the grass, and reestablished all the bases that we started having some real fun.


Left Field

I loved the essence of baseball. The anticipation the night before and the thrill of stepping into the uniform never grew old. Our day games were played at Villa Maria, I hated that field with a passion. There were more thorns on the field than grass. Although hated to play there, I loved to steal bases on that field. I was fast, and I was seldom caught. The last game I played there I stole home base. Our night games were played at Hanna. I loved that field... The bright lights that placed glimmers on the helmets and shadows on the field; I was fascinated by the night scene. I wasn't the best hitter in the world, but my only objective was to get on base (by any means) where I can do some damage with my speed. I had a lot more hits on that field; I was able to see the ball better.

Maybe I’m going about this all wrong. It’s stood it’s time as a field of dreams now it’s time to remember it as only a field of memories.

by steven saul king

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home